ABOUT THE FILM
EVEN HELL HAS ITS HEROES
2023 | USA | 110 min
Since 1989, the slowest metal band on Earth has conjured some of music’s most striking tectonic changes. Not only did the band Earth create a glacially paced subgenre of metal, but visionary leader Dylan Carlson did so amidst heroin addiction and the tragic death of his best friend, Kurt Cobain.
Since 1989, the slowest metal band on the planet has conjured some of music’s most striking tectonic changes. Not only did the band Earth create a glacially paced subgenre of metal and play a pivotal role in the popularization of grunge, but visionary leader Dylan Carlson also did it while battling small-town boredom, heroin addiction, and the tragic death of his roommate and best friend, Kurt Cobain.
Despite the high volume of its beloved and beautiful drone metal, Earth has rarely had much to say for itself. For the first time, in a moving saga that respects the music as much as the ragtag cast of eccentrics and surreal Pacific Northwest majesty that shaped it, Clyde Petersen gets to the core of the could-have-been-tragic triumph of Earth, the slow band that changed everything it touched.
Director Clyde Petersen
Producers Clyde Petersen, Kathy Lindenmayer, Bruce Bond, Lynn Shelton, Benjamin Kasulke, Corey J. Brewer, Keith Bacon, Jody Poorwill, Theo Hilton, Paul Shin, Leah Gold
Editor Clyde Petersen
Cast Featuring Dylan Carlson, Adrienne Davies, Slim Moon, Brett Netson, Stuart Hallerman, Bruce Pavitt, Michael J. McDaniel, Phil Ek, Tom Hansen, Jonathan Poneman, John Schuller, Jonas Haskins, Steve Moore, Randall Dunn, Mell Dettmer, Don McGreevy, Bill Herzog, Bill Frisell, Angelina Baldoz, Lori Goldston, Karl Blau, Jodie Cox, Holly Amber, Tristan Jemsek, Jay Crash, Heidi Elise Wirz, Corey J. Brewer
FESTIVALS & AWARDS
CPH:DOX 2023 (Festival World Premiere)
Indie Memphis (Award: Best Sounds Feature)
Makedonska 21 (Award: Best Sound)
IndieLisboa (Special Jury Mention)
Seattle International Film Festival (Festival US Premiere)
Philadelphia Independent Film Festival
Montreal Pop Festival
Sled Island Music Festival
Way Out West
Chicago Underground Film Festival
Bumbershoot Arts Festival
Bogatá Experimental Film Festival
New Zealand International Film Festival
Vashon Island Film Festival
Tacoma Film Festival
TO PURCHASE TICKETS: Please click on the showtime under the date you wish to attend.
- All events are 21+
- Tickets are General Admission. In the event that a show is sold out, we may send an e-mail to the address used to purchase tickets so that assigned seating may be arranged to ensure your party is able to sit together.
- Please arrive NO LATER than 15 minutes before show start time.
- If you arrive less than 15 minutes before show start time, we cannot promise that your party will be seated together.
- If you do not arrive by 15 minutes after show start time, your tickets may expire and we cannot guarantee that your seats will still be available.
- There is NO item minimum for attending shows, however we do offer a full bar selection, mocktails and other non-alcoholic options, as well a a rotating selection of snacks.
Planet of the Tapes specializes in table service, with a convenient silent ordering system. Instead of leaving your table to get in line at a busy bar, just fill out a ticket with your drink order and a server will promptly and quietly bring your drinks to the table. We're a small room, and we're not overcrowded. You'll be no more than 25 feet away from your favorite performer.